Tuesday 21 April 2015

Stretching The Comfort Zone

It is so easy to stay where we are...nice and comfortable...liking what we like and quickly discarding anything outside of our aural and visual familiarity. Today's challenge is to listen to something different to what is in my music collection. 

Join me and get your ears around Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone with The Three Sounds. 




For visual stretching, my recommendation is Cy Twombly. When I first saw his work I didn't get it and I couldn't understand why my teacher recommended that I look at his artworks. After studying visual art and delving deeper into abstract drawing and painting, I have come to absolutely adore Cy Twombly's work. It touches me on a very deep level. Check out his drawings and paintings on this link: http://www.cytwombly.info



WILDER SHORES OF LOVE 1985
OIL-BASED HOUSE PAINT, OIL PAINT (PAINT STICK),
COLOURED PENCIL AND LEAD PENCIL ON WOODEN PANEL,
55 1/8 X 47 1/4 INCHES (140 X 120 CM).





PAN 1975. / WAX CRAYON, COLLAGE, 148 X 100 CM.

No comments:

Post a Comment