Monday 20 April 2015

It Might Get Ugly!

Starting off on a new project can be intimidating and also very exciting. One must be prepared to make a mess of things and get lost in the beginning in order to find a way through the confusion. I like to think of it as making new pathways in the brain or as Bob Proctor puts it "creating new brain cells".

With understanding and repetition comes order, knowledge and muscle memory. From this process confidence eventually emerges and pure expression can take over. So...whether it be in visual art or music...be prepared for imperfection and chaos! Step out of your comfort zone and put in the time. You will get there eventually.

Here is an example of order arising from chaos in one of my improvised drawings. I started to make marks to the rhythm of some African music I had on hand. I had no idea what the artwork would end up being. I just allowed myself to go into a trance to the music. After several hours of repeatedly making marks and erasing them, I stood back and could see an image taking shape. The subject matter was staring me in the face. From that point on, I refined the drawing until it felt finished. It was a hard day's work and I was tired and grubby at the end of it...but very satisfied.



Rhythm of Life, 2012, charcoal on paper, 101.5 x 77cm


The creation of my painting Enceladus also emerged out of pretty ugly and confusing beginnings. Eventually it started to come together after watching an inspiring documentary on the moons of Saturn. Cassini's photos of Saturn's sixth largest moon, Enceladus, were captivating and the images kept replaying in my mind. 

It took much time and a lot of patience to navigate the process of adding and scraping back the paint and pigments but eventually the painting began resonating to me with evocative simplicity. I was pleased that it came in as a finalist and was hung in the 2014 Heysen Prize at the Hahndorf Academy in South Australia.



Enceladus, 2014, oil, dry pigments, wax and acrylic on canvas, 76 x 76cm

So tell your friends, family and neighbours IT MIGHT GET LOUD (by the way - it is the name of a great documentary on three rock legends and a good watch) and IT MIGHT GET UGLY!


No comments:

Post a Comment