Friday 24 April 2015

Screen Printing Tests And Samples

Today was my initiation into screen printing. I created some black and white photocopies from simple patterns that I had previously drawn on bleed-free paper with a marker. This afternoon I learnt the process of all the steps to screen printing on fabric. 

  • First the application of photo emulsion on the screen. 
  • Next let the screen dry and apply vegetable oil to the photocopies.
  • Then lay the oiled photocopies onto glass and exposing the images on the screen. 
  • After that the screen is hosed until the emulsion washes off leaving the clean screen ready to print with.
  • Stapled material to fabric table.
  • Placed the screen over the fabric and pull the ink over the screen with a squeegee.
Here are my first tests on cotton and linen giving me insight as to what my next steps might be. 


Aria Stone, First Tests, 2015


I think I have started to peel a very big onion! It could take a while to get some great patterns on fabric...another sideline project that will keep me off the streets!

Someone did give me a great tip. They told me about Spoonflower...a website that will digitally print your designs on to fabric for those bespoke projects. Check out the website www.spoonflower.com It looks fabulous with lots of tuition videos to support their customers. 

And now for me...more experimentation...

Aria Stone, Pattern No. 5, ink marker on paper, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment